We are constantly exposed to distractions every day and focusing require discipline. The ability to focus varies from person to person, but everyone can learn to focus more effectively. Personally, I often find it difficult to focus. There are so many things I have to think of and deal with in my business, that I often find myself overwhelmed and with the impression that I have spent a whole day working with very little accomplished. Since I have started seriously “training” myself to become more focused by banishing distractions, I realized that not only I can enhance my ability to focus, but I can also accomplish more in less time. What I have also discovered is that state of focus can also be relaxing. With only one thing on your mind, your brain is less busy and you become more efficient.When you are highly distractible, it is very difficult to accomplish anything.
Here are 9 ways to develop greater focus and accomplish more in less time that I’m using and that have helped me a lot in my business:
- Build motivation. Before beginning a task that requires focus and attention, ask yourself why you’re doing it. What do you hope to accomplish? What benefits will you receive from completing the task? What will happen if you don’t get it done? Focus is easier to accomplish if you’re highly motivated.
- Remove distractions. Close the door. Clear your desk. Turn off the phone. Clear your screen:no Social Media, no email. Let others know that you prefer not to be disturbed. Keep any tempting distraction away.
- Only work on one thing at a time. I’m the queen of multitasking: great mistake! Research reveals that it’s a mistake to move back and forth between several tasks. It takes time for your brain to readjust and get back into the flow of things. Productivity rises when you stick to one task, complete it, and then move on. I must confess, I still tend to multitask, but I’m improving.
- Practice focusing. Also called mindfulness. Until I started paying attention to what I was doing and being totally focussed on that specific activity, I didn’t realize that I wasn’t fully enjoying my everyday life. Live a life of focus. While watching your kids’ soccer game or play , try to keep your attention and thoughts on the game or play. See how long you last until your thoughts wander. Keep your eyes and thoughts on the road while driving. Eat your meals without thinking about anything besides your food and the other people at the table. It takes so little to live more fully.
- Take breaks. Breaks seem like a waste of time, but you’ll get more done over the course of a day by taking breaks. No one can maintain a state of high focus throughout the day. I now organize my working day in 2-hour time slots and I take breaks within. Taking short breaks gives your brain a quick rest. Since I started doing this I’m much more focused and I accomplish more.
- Eliminate the non-essential. Having too many things in your life is distracting. Every part of your life takes up space in your head. Free up some space in your life and your brain. You’ll find it much easier to stay focused on the things that really matter to you and. that are important for your business
- Set aside time for meditation each day. Meditation is a good exercise for learning how to control and focus your attention. The easiest kind of meditation is focusing on your breathing, it’s simple and very effective. There are numerous books, videos, and courses available online.
- Eat healthy food and sleep well. If you’re exhausted, you can’t focus. If your body is hungry, you can’t focus. Many entrepreneurs and professionals are so absorbed by their business, they don’t take take the time to listen to their body and and take good care of themselves. Take care of your body, so it can support your efforts to focus. Don’t rely only on caffeine that, when consumed in excess, will intoxicate your body, lowering your energy levels.
- Create a schedule. I must confess that this was one of the most difficult things to do for me. I mean what was difficult was not creating my schedule, but to stick to it. I was constantly distracted by the too many tabs opened in my browser, email, social media and constant interruptions from family and team members. Now I can say that is’s easier to focus if you know the start and the endpoint and when you know exactly what to do and when to do it.
Now it’s your turn. What do you do to stay focused and productive?
Remember to share as much detail as possible in your comments: many people come here every week for inspiration and advice, so I encourage you share your thoughts. Your experience and insights may inspire and trigger a meaningful change for someone else. And if you have someone in your life who could benefit from this article, share this post with them – they’ll thank you for it ?
Thank you for reading, watching and sharing
To your success and prosperity